Gründung der "Gesellschaft für Meeresbiologie" Österreich
In 1957, scientists and members of the business community founded the "Gesellschaft für Meeresbiologie" (Society for Marine Biology) under the presidency of Dr. Hartel and vice-presidency of Ing. Otte. The stated goal was to create a "Haus des Meeres" (House of the Sea) in the flak tower located in the Esterhazypark: it was to house Austria's first saltwater aquarium and at the same to function as a center for European marine research. Professor Dr. Rupert Riedl, widely renowned beyond Austria's borders, took charge of the scientific work, supported by Dr. Ferdinand Starmühlner, who at that time was a university assistant.
A wide range of activities were undertaken, including organizing the diving group ADRIA and the publication of the monthly magazine OCEAN. By 1965, one-and-a-half stories of the building had already been adapted as exhibition rooms and equipped with 40 display aquariums.